|Inscription A59||Index||Plan||< Prev.||Next >|
Stone covered by the 1861-2 works, as recorded by the Vicar of the time. At a distance of 2ft 6in. from east wall, and 9ft 8in. from south wall lies a stone on which is inscribed a shield, containing per chev. three elephants' heads erased. Crest: an elephant's head erased (the lines denoting colours are obliterated). Just below the Coat of Arms is the following:|
LL.B. quondam Vicarius
de Bennenden in Comitatu
Obiit 5 die Aprilis 1724.
Aetatis Suae 50.
Serius aut citius Sedem properamus ad unam:
Heu dimus (?) huc omnes, haec est domus ultima nobis.
On the same stone under the foregoing is the following: Richardus SAUNDERS, Clericus,
(Parish register 1724. April 10. The Revd. John Saunders, vicar).
|St George's Church, Benenden||With thanks to OFHS Copyright St George's Church, © 2015|